Saturday, April 26, 2014

Harajuku: Takeshita Dori

It was surreal for me being able to step into the streets of Harajuku for the first time. Next to Kyoto (which I learned from Rurouni Kenshin), Harajuku was the part of Japan that I used to read a lot about before. When I was a kid, my papa used to bring home airline magazines whenever he comes home from Saudi. One particular magazine, which I still have with me (locked back home), has in it cover two Harajuku girls. Of course, I didn't know that before. But after reading the main article about Sundays in Harajuku, I was hooked. It was also the article that caused my brief fixation on Lolita fashion (hence, my twitter and instagram username 'chabilolita'). I used to save pictures and pictures of dresses in Lolita style, and I even wanted to dress up as one.  Eventually, as I learned more about the cosplay culture in Japan, my love for Lolita fashion died down, but my want to go to Harajuku remained the same.

I went on a Friday, so it wasn't too crowded. I was able to walk effortlessly through the street of Takeshita. I went to Daiso, and was able to buy a few school supplies, and then I visited some of the clothing stores around. I was actually looking for a bag that day. But unfortunately, nothing was within the limits of my budget (cheapo). Still, I had so much fun. The craziest thing that I saw was this bulky man, probably around his 40s, dressed in a frilly, puffy, and very pink ballerina-ish Lolita costume. The craziest/weirdest/worst part is that he's wearing a very, very pink underwear too - and yes, everybody saw that, or rather, he showed everybody. I didn't have a picture of him because I felt shocked and scared for a moment. Then, I was about to take a picture of him when he bent down and showed everyone his undies.  So I thought, "Nah, never mind. I wouldn't want that in my blog or in any part of my camera/computer." But now, I kind of regret not taking his picture. Haha.

Harajuku offers a lot for fashionistas out there. I actually went back there this week and noticed that some shops are now selling yukatas, which I'm planning to buy soon. Hopefully, they still have it in the following weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment